There is rightly mentioned "holy trinity" of "Customer + Culture + Collaboration at the beginning .
The rest of the video contains a description of the organizational stuff i.e. tribes, squads, chapters, tribe lead(er)s, agile coaches...
So, we just reshake people to "squads", rename the "divisions" to "tribes" and .... what shall happen? Miracle?
There are no further mentions of the "culture" in a video. And the culture change is, in my eyes, the corner stone of the entire agile approach. With all the negative and positive connotations. What is missing, for example?
- No word about 1/2/3/4/5 tribal stages defined at Tribal Leadership . No word about tha fact that tribal leader's key misssion is to develop people from stages 2. to 3. , from 3. to 4. etc. No word about that people shall agree, at least themselves, that they want to move in that direction and if not that they shall leave. With all the impacts, for them and organization.
- No word about the conscious mixing of the pioneers - settlers - town planners mentalities in the organization.
- No word about the fact, that tribe leaders shall be the enterpreneurs by the soul. Well, why entepreneurs shall work in corporations? Can they be reborned there? How to spread and share the experiences of the enterpreneur? Business simulations/games could be the one of possible vehicles as "If I tell you something, it's true for me. If you discover it, it's true for you."
Tribal Leadership Phases
Innovation related mentalities
- Simon Wardley - Medium
- Simon Wardley Maps - Medium
- Simon Wardley- Discussion of mentalities at Twitter
If you are new to "agile" approach, some of these links can help you too:
- Agile - Agile key terms explained in ING Case Study
- Scrum - The Scrum Cheat Sheet , The Scrum In Nutshell - Video , Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time by Jeff Sutherland also as free audiobook
- Kanban - Kanban: Toyota to Software Development in 2 Minutes
If you apply the agile approach in this castrated "reshaking" form, than you shall not be surprised that the agile will not work for you as expected. You have delivered a car but without the engine. Which is clearly absurd in the car example. But doesn't have to be while trying to implement the agile approach in your company...
What do you think?
Do you agree or disagree with me?
Do you think I can be somehow helpful in implementing agile approach in your organization?
Let me know ;-)